Leadership of Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce
Past Chairs and Presidents of the Board of Directors
2017 Chase Kincannon (current Chair)
2016-2017 Amy Cook
2014-2016 Edgar Gierbolini
2013-2014 Jimmy Flannigan
2011-2012 Amy Cook
2009-2010 Chad Peevy
2007-2009 Jimmy Flannigan
2005-2006 Troy Hanna
2003-2005 Grant Henning
2001-2002 Amy Krause
The Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce or AGLCC was founded in 1997 as a professional networking group after a three year transition of originally being known as the Stonewall Chamber of Commerce. In 2004, the AGLCC became one of the founding members of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) with representation on the Council of Chambers and Business Organizations in 2008-2009 and 2013-present. AGLCC hired its first full-time staff member in December 2015, and opened its first office. In 2017 the AGLCC rebranded and changed its name to the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce to include the contributions of the Bisexual and Transgender communities to our queer economy.
Here are just a few LGBT Chamber Milestones:
- 1994, the board of directors decided to become a chamber of commerce. During a three-year transition period, it was known as the Stonewall Chamber of Commerce. Confusion over the name (because there is a Stonewall, Texas) prompted the name change to the Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
- June 2001 marked the first Annual AGLCC Pride Parade, which was very successful with nearly 45,000 in attendance in 2008. In 2009, the AGLCC produced the city's first combined Pride Parade and Festival with over 50,000 combined participants and attendees before handing off the Pride events to a separate non-profit organization for 2010.
- January 2006, the AGLCC reached 200 members for the first time
- January 2007, the AGLCC had its first State of the Chamber speech given by the president to the give members and guests a review of the past year's achievements and an overview of the AGLCC's plan for the coming year.
- January 2007 the Chamber published its first magazine, Forward Austin replacing the printed directory.
- June 2009, the AGLCC reached 300 members for the first time.
- 2012, the first issue of ;The Agenda, the AGLCC's new quarterly magazine, in collaboration with the Austin Chronicle, was released during Austin PRIDE
- March 2013, the AGLCC organized the first #BigGay Kickoff Party on the first day of the SxSW Interactive Festival. It attracted over 1500 attendees, making it the largest non-pride event in Austin.
- July 2013, the AGLCC received the Rising Star Chamber of the Year award from the NGLCC (see video of the award presentation)
- September 2013, the Austin Chronicle's Best of Austin named the AGLCC as "Best Shop-Local Portals" (tied with the Austin Indepdent Business Alliance)
- March 2014, the AGLCC's Facebook page reached 10,000 likes, making it the most “liked” LGBT chamber of commerce on Facebook, and the most liked of any local chamber of commerce in the world.
- August 2015 the Chamber received the Excellence in Community Impact Award from the NGLCC.
- June 2016 was the first PROUD! event in which the Chamber celebrates its founding, Pride month, Annual Business Awards and gives out scholarships to LGBTQ students through its Foundation.
- August 2017, AGLCC receives CTI Certified designation issued by the University of Notre Dame and co-signed by the USHCC, USBC, USPAACC. The CTI Certification highlights the achievements made by the chamber as a whole.